March 18, 2024, 11:13:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosting/Disk Storage Questions  (Read 145261 times)
AngieP

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2005, 10:38:24 AM »

I know when I signed up, the info said you could not change your userid; however, I don't remember it saying that you could not change your website name.  Can you?
Also, do you have to pick a website name in the beginning, or can you just sign up with the user ID and go back later and select a website name?
I have an interested person, who cannot readily think of a website name that is not taken.

Thanks for the info.

Angie
GSmith

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005, 03:21:23 AM »

You CAN change your website name, Angie; in fact, I have done so myself.  It may cost you a one time additional $10 a month, depending on when you create your new domain.
This is because every time you enter in a new domain name, you are actually setting up a new account, for which another $10 per month is charged.

Just go to your affiliate site and scroll down to Domains.  You can, at any time, add a new domain (many people have more than one now); put in the new domain name that you want, and then BE sure that you cancel the other one, the domain name that you no longer want.  Once you have cancelled it, as a further follow-up, it is a good idea to contact Customer Service direct to make sure they have receipt of your cancellation request.

It is even a good thing to promote with your downline the BENEFITS of having more than one domain, because every time they get a second or a third, YOU are earning another $1.00 per month off of each one of them. 

As to your question is it necessary to create a domain name in the sign-up process, or can that be done afterwards, it IS necessry in the sign-up stage.  This, I am sure, is to protect those people who have a very specific name in mind that they WANT for their domain.  By securing it immediately when they sign up, this is assuring them that no one else will ever be able to capture or have that name. 

Gail Smith
Texas
« Last Edit: July 09, 2005, 03:22:19 AM by ChipSnyder » Logged
D Ross

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2005, 04:13:58 AM »

Hi Angie,

I was wondering about that myself so I'm glad Cheesy that you asked it.

And I'm real glad Grin that you answered it Gail, I think I'll copy & paste it so I don't forget it!

D ROSS
GSmith

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 02:51:15 PM »

Speaking of copying and pasting......I have read SO MANY useful and helpful shares on this Forum and because I do not know how long a particular topic or thread of comments to a topic will be carried on the Forum, for the ones I want to be SURE not to lose, I have started my own separate WORD document of GDI FYI's for future reference.  I want to MAKE SURE I can refer back to them and that I not lose the valuable information.  I even have my WORD document for FYI's categorized according to specific topics so I can find one fast when I need it.

Gail Smith
Texas
ThomasBrown

I'm a Junior Senior

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 02:51:16 PM »

How do I find out what my disk storage limit is and also how much I've used.

Tom

Thomas W. Brown
gdi
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 03:00:04 PM »

It is a great idea to 'save' Topics/Posts that you want to keep because, somw Topics are purged after a period (minimum 30 days) with no Posts.

Chip
StefaniPartin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 04:02:53 PM »

I don't know that we have access to that info?

I think it's $10 per month no matter how much bandwith we use.

Stefani

Mommy Enterprises
Helping Moms Make & Save At Home
D Ross

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 01:20:54 PM »

Hi again Gail,

I'm doing the same thing Gail but for a different reason: My Hard Drive (the one between my ears) is all filled up and ready to crash If I don't find a place to store all these good idea's! Huh

I want to MAKE SURE I can refer back to them and that I not lose the valuable information.  I even have my WORD document for FYI's categorized according to specific topics so I can find one fast when I need it.
I think that this is one of the better forums for friendly people and good info. Grin

D ROSS

CarlKlapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 11:38:45 AM »

I have mentioned some of this in previous replies, but I think it should be in a topic of its own...

I noticed from php_info that we have MySQL support, but no default host, or user and password, is listed. 

1. Do we have access to a MySQL server with our plan?
2. If so:
  a. What is the server host name or IP address?
  b. Do we have default username/passwords on that server?
  c. How do we find out and/or change our username/password?
  d. What privilieges do we have?
  e. How much space are we allotted?

Thanks for any help.

Carl

Carl Klapper
Chad G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »

Hi Carl,

I don't think we have access to MySQL just yet. I emailed support a few months ago and asked them about it. They said they had no plans to expand on their webhosting services. I do hope this has changed. Maybe they are currently working on it and will provide it in the future.

Chad G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »

The disk storage limit is 100 mb per account. As far as checking for the amount you have used, I'm not sure, I guess you will have to add up your file sizes.  Smiley

JDTutterow

Groovy - Now gimme some sugar, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 02:07:00 PM »

Hi Carl -

I can help a little - maybe.

Addressing your questions:

1. Do we have access to a MySQL server with our plan?
2. If so:
  a. What is the server host name or IP address?
  b. Do we have default username/passwords on that server?
  c. How do we find out and/or change our username/password?
  d. What privilieges do we have?
  e. How much space are we allotted?

1. Yes - if I understand you correctly. There are five options to choose from in
    setting up your website. Check in your members' area under "Domains" -

a. When you choose the "Hosting" option to set up your domain/website, you will
        receive an e-mail containing the host info, password, etc.
       You will need your own FTP software to upload your web pages to the server.

b. Yes, as far as I can tell.

c.  Depends which option you choose. You can change your password in your members' area -
        but it may change the password for every domain you own - unsure.

d.  Not sure what you mean - probably (again) depends on the option you choose

e.  When using the Site Builder option, it's 100mgs - Can't seem to find that info for the other options.
         It should be at least that much space, though.

Hope some of this helped -

JD Tutterow   Cool

« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 02:08:02 PM by ChipSnyder » Logged

JD Tutterow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
CarlKlapper

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 03:19:22 AM »

Hi JD,

Actually I was talking about a MySQL (database) server.  The MySQL module is installed in PHP, but apparently it is not being used, at least not through the hosting plan.

To all,
I certainly hope that GDI reconsiders at least having an option of having a database with the premium hosting plan.  GDI could even allow an option of increasing the database allocation by suitable increments for each additional $10/month.  That way, an additional income stream is generated from current GDI domains instead of being lost to (hosting) competitors.  Further, the initial MySQL capability provides a wonderful lead-in to this income stream, as initial use of the database expands, prompting the purchase of the additional allocations.  One further suggestion: allocations for multiple domains could be combined, with those domains sharing a larger database.

Carl

Carl Klapper
StuartReid

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 10:23:31 AM »

What about Bandwidth? I don't think I'll be using much bandwidth on what is basically a single page site, but it's nice to know  for people who join just for a website.
Thomas H

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 08:21:45 AM »

I have also confirm with  Support,  MySQL is not supported now.
However looking forward for MySQL to be support soon.
I was hoping to set up a blog on the GDI server but the lack of MySQL prevents this. 
Not sure if  100MB is enough for a blog, but should be worth a try.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: