March 18, 2024, 07:11:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosting/Disk Storage Questions  (Read 145237 times)
Francis_G

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2005, 10:41:53 AM »

Hi Rich,

If you are using WebSite Builder, you are limited to 6 pages only.  Unfortunately, this is the system limit set forth by GDI. 

However, if you want to make full use of your 100MB of webspace, I suggest you use a third party software like Dreamweaver or Frontpage in creating your websites.  Using these softwares or others like them allows you to create an unlimited number of webpages as long as they fit in 100MBs.

You have to select "WebSite Hosting" in the settings area of your domains and then check your emails for the settings which will contain your DNS server address, user ID, and password.  Next, you will need a FTP program inorder for you to upload all your webpages into GDI's server.  Enter the information contained in your email into the FTP program prior to uploading your files.

Have fun!
JDTutterow

Groovy - Now gimme some sugar, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2005, 10:03:38 AM »

Chip said recently we have 6 pages.  Smiley
Deborah H

I have seen some GDI websites that have more than 6 pages.  I wonder how they got more?

Rich

I believe with the new site builder you may have up to ten pages, but I haven't tried it -
Plus the Guestbook page and the Feedback page. That makes twelve in all.

Can anyone verify this? Has anyone "maxed out" their pages with Site Builder?

JD    Cool

JD Tutterow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
SFonseca

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2005, 05:00:25 AM »

Just got a signup to someone who wanted a website.Yeah! Until they discovered an alternative- Yahoo Hosting - its starter package is only $11.95 with 2gb of storage and 25 email address as well as a host of other features - not to mention 24hr support. Oh and by the way they also give you a "free" domain name. How is GDI supposed to compete with that. Aside from the business opportunity is there any competive edge? At first I thought GDI was a good deal for the price.  Huh
JosueD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2005, 11:17:16 AM »

I changed my settings to hosting services and it said that i would recieve an email with instructions, that was 2 days ago. Does anyone know how to access the FTP server(what's the web address) and what info is required to log in, if any.
mack88
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2005, 11:52:52 AM »

I changed my settings to hosting services and it said that i would recieve an email with instructions, that was 2 days ago. Does anyone know how to access the FTP server(what's the web address) and what info is required to log in, if any.

The website address would be http://ftp://www.yoursitename.ws and the login information is your .ws login and password all is lowercase!

Frank
JDTutterow

Groovy - Now gimme some sugar, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2005, 10:10:17 AM »

Just got a signup to someone who wanted a website.Yeah! Until they discovered an alternative- Yahoo Hosting - its starter package is only $11.95 with 2gb of storage and 25 email address as well as a host of other features - not to mention 24hr support. Oh and by the way they also give you a "free" domain name. How is GDI supposed to compete with that. Aside from the business opportunity is there any competive edge? At first I thought GDI was a good deal for the price.  Huh

Hi SFonsesca -

I don't know anything about YHosting, so I would ask these questions -

Does Yahoo offer a way for the website to pay for itself? GDI does.
How many people, really, need 2gb of storage and 25 e-mail addresses for one domain?
Is the "free" domain name a Top Level Domain (like www.yoursitename.ws),
or something like www.yahoohosting.com/id#?#*%yourname (unprofessional-looking and hard to give to people) ?

Just some thoughts -

JD    Cool

JD Tutterow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
Abraham Lincoln
Roxanne G

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 01:30:22 PM »

Just an FYI - I have been going back and forth with support all week.  I have a windows media file that is 39 MB and the gallery is supposed to hold 100 MB.  After numerous emails to and from support, they had me email them the file and they tried to upload it to my gallery.  The following is what I received today from support. 

Good Afternoon,

We apologize for this taking do long.  We have attempted to upload your file into your gallery and were unsuccessful. Only 10MB of a file can be uploaded at one time. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Kindest Regards,

.WS Support

So - if anyone is signing up intending to use a file larger than 10 mb on their site, it can not be done.

Sad  Angry

Have a great day, after all, today is the first day of the rest of your life!!

Roxanne
Tatjana Prelog

Love, friendship and honesty are treasures!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2005, 05:18:44 PM »

Dear Roxanne!

This is what I know already for a few months - from tat time I wanted to upload my Photo Tutorial in compleete with music and everything what's going with it. I actually could upload only app 7,9 MB to my gallery at one time and not more. I've got from the support that time app the same answer, but the size was smaller - they said 8 MB can be uploaded at one time. That's why my Photo Tutorial never served its purpose at all and I doubt it ever would so I'm preparing myself to take it off and throw it to the garbage ... Actually I never asked support to upload it for me as I knew without any questioning that that will not be done ...

Thank you for posting this info anyway!

Tatjana
 Sad

Have a better day than I ever had!!! Charish the life, true friendship, love and honesty!!

Tatjana
KevinJaynes

Here to replace the J.O.B. life!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005, 03:10:55 PM »

How do I use front page to upload a web page for hosting. I used the IP address and everything but it wouldn't work right. It said it published it but when I went to my .ws It still said under construction.

Please Help,
KevinJaynes
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 03:11:13 PM by ChipSnyder » Logged

Kevin Jaynes
ThaisMendes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 03:54:08 AM »

Hi,

My 2 cents:   (from close-to-a-pro)

This is the first time I heard about PHP at GDI forum/website.
I was very, very sad to think that I had not access to it... I browsed member's site showcases and saw no traces of programming being used...

I've been here for less than a week, but I have the impression that we have more website newbies than pro's... and the pro's sometimes promote a dot .com website on their profile...
I pass my mouse over that globe image on the left side of the posts, to spy other .ws sites for ideas as how my referals could use them - family albuns? pet page? what do people like? I forgot what it was to be a newbie and enjoy the pleasure of just sharing my simple thoughts... would like to get that back... I see they are sometimes more popular than my "HTML tutorial" or "business ideas" scratch..  Undecided

Still, without programming capabilities, GDI offer would left something to desire for the pro's... it's a great price, sure, for domain and hosting, specially with the business opportunity, but if you are going to use the domain alone, with forwarding, your might as well just say you are here for the MLM alone, or am I wrong?? And what would be the point of your referals buying more then one domain/website if we all just wanted to get in the business opportunity?

On the other side, with PHP, I will stick with GDI and buy my domain when my trial period is over... because I can do many things here wether I get other people to see that or not - it's their loss... I can win so much from what I put on my website, even though I have no business of my own to promote.

And there's just so much to do with your website!! I could post some great teplate sites here (with hundreds of great-looking, professional templates)  and a visual HTML editor "Web Weaver EZ" - free edition (do a search on google to download), which newbies could use to build GREAT GDI websites...
And with some search engine optimization research, plus, google adsense ads (or any paying ad for that matter), GDI pays for itself with 0 referers...

But, people will be even more free to create and to EARN if they could read Amazon products' feeds, do clickbank searches (affiliate selling), put a small forum, or use "include('top-navigation.html')", for example, to add the same header and a footer on all site pages... that's what I would most miss, while updating my site pages.. imagine adding a new link to 10, 20 pages, one by one..

Someone mentioned promoting .ws websites to schools, etc., groups in general.. wouldn't they use it better by havind some dinamic content? Like a messages board more advanced than the guestbook??

I think newbies here now can get a picture of what their "pro" referals could do, like some of you said.. even if you don't understand quite what it is, we have to know what to tell them..

What got me truly interested in GDI was the possibility to refer people for a great offer they could enjoy with either 0 or thousands of referers... tell them about google adsense, affiliate programs, etc., which can surely be used with GDI websites, but also would be good it they could: authorize paypal downloads automaticaly... using free website scripts... this last one depends of having PHP (any programming, simply put)..

Finaly,
A database would be great, and could be priced differently than the normal price... we would all expect that, I think... but not having that option at all is a bit dissappointing.. anyway, one could always use a flat file instead, for most jobs... as long as we can use PHP!  Grin

As far as what concerns Yahoo hosting, I browse many webmaster sites and web hosting forums (hey, great for my advertising with signatures!!!! Haven't had the time to do that this week..), and Yahoo is NOT recognized as great hosting company, like they are as a search engine.. people (clients we lose) do tend to think they would have recognition in specific services just because they are so popular in gerenal, but we have to "show" them that they will do better with us.... and for that matter, we need to show what we earn from GDI subscription directly, with referals, and also from the GDI services (ou websites)..
Show that great pet website of yours, with links to: paying ads, amazon pet products, books abouts pets, clickbank e-books ready to download (which they will do after buying and leaving you cash credit!).

I'm in a hurry to leave all the links, if people ask I can put later, but if you just do a search on google typing all the terms I used, you can learn what are all those things....

Plus, feel free to contact me anyone through this forum.

(site is not up, I want to build it with those templates I told you about, I'm still not sure how to share content resources between my former website - if you would like to click the globe on the left to visit it, there is an HTML tutorial, but it was still under development.. I might bring all content to siteworks.ws.. but don't know if the terms "internet business" will rate better on search engines, that's holding me.. I will surely mantain both domains.. and if I can get them to profit from affiliates and adsense clicks, I will make more!!)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 03:55:30 AM by ChipSnyder » Logged
ThaisMendes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2005, 01:44:25 PM »

How do I use front page to upload a web page for hosting. I used the IP address and everything but it wouldn't work right. It said it published it but when I went to my .ws It still said under construction.

Please Help,
KevinJaynes

I am not familiar with Front Page, but if it said published maybe you don't have an "index.html" page??

The hosting server might prevent people from browsing other pages if you don't have an "index.html" page for security reasons...
JulioY

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2005, 02:52:41 PM »

We have 100MB available for our site, right? Where can we see how much we've used? Thanks!

www.smartbizops.ws
mack88
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2005, 03:29:48 AM »

Julio,

Yes, you have 100M of storage available to you.  However you cannot monitor it unless you use an FTP program.  If you begin to exceed it, the system will not let you upload.  I know this to be true because I was adding some pages this past week and exceeded my limit.

Frank
CGill

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2005, 11:14:37 AM »

I've got a potential customer wanting to know eactly what he gets with a .ws website domain and hosting. How much memory, bandwith etc. Can some point me in the direction?
Tatjana Prelog

Love, friendship and honesty are treasures!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2005, 04:28:05 PM »

Ok. Let's make a list!

With the GDI .WS you can get for 10 $/month:
  • one .ws domain name you always wanted
  • up to 10 e-mail acounts
  • SiteBuilder with which you can create your website and you can build up to 10 pages
  • up to 100 MB of the disk space
  • Maximum file size uploaded at one time up to 8 MB

You can choose this options for your webdomain
  • Building the webpage with the SiteBuilder
  • Forwarding
  • High quality hosting
  • Parking service or
  • Advanced users nameservers

In addition you get:
  • Your back office with all the marketing tools as invite system etc
  • your promoting page where your prospects can see the 7-minute moovie and sign up

You also can use this .WS forum to find the new ideas, marketing and website building tips, and also for finding new friends if you like ...

Well, that's it!

Ummmm, did I forget something?

I hope it helps and if anyone can remember something I didn't, or my message needs a correction about something, be free to post here!!!

Many success!

Tatjana
 Smiley

Have a better day than I ever had!!! Charish the life, true friendship, love and honesty!!

Tatjana
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: