April 16, 2024, 03:56:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I ftp with GDI?  (Read 84260 times)
DonWiggins

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 03:12:45 PM »

I just published my web site last night. I was able to FTP to it then. I am not able to FTP into it right now. Any ideas? I know the log in and password are correct. Is it because my DNS settings haven't perpetuated? I am able to ping my dmain name and it does resolve to the correct address. Also I get a page cannot be displayed error when trying to access my site.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2006, 07:07:01 PM by Nicole Taylor » Logged
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 03:24:16 AM »

Sounds like an ISP problem. Are you using a proprietary brand FTP program which remembers your FTP address?
You can try deleting the entry and putting it in again
Gisele L

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 07:14:26 PM »

Rod, I've already built my website with the site builder and plan to switch to hosting to create a home page with a template and add other pages. But I want to keep the pages already made. I know I have to create an index page (my home page?) then sub-folders for each further pages before FTP. What is the first task I have to do? And shall I be able to call each page otherwise than page2, page3, page4...? thanks.
canalgi.ws
M Ma

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2006, 08:17:42 AM »

Hi, David,

I like your site. I am going to build one myself. Thanks for your questions since I got instructions. Smiley

Coming together is a beginning
keeping together is progress
Working together is success
GPann

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2006, 10:02:44 AM »

Hello, I've built a personal web site that I want to host with GDI, but while I can find the links and set up for the online site builder I can't find any to links, set up, or instructions to ftp my site.  So how do I bypass the site builder and use ftp with GDI??? 

Thanks,

David

Hello David,

First you must go into your Members Area and set your domain to premium hosting.  You will then receive an email stating that your hosting is activated.  However, you must wait 12-24 hours for the domain to do its thing through the DNS servers.  After that type your URL into your browser, if you paged is indexed, you will know and see it.  You will then need an FTP program to upload your files. There are numerous FTP programs on the Net (some free, some not).  Once uploaded your pages will be displayed.  It is a very simple process if you follow these steps and have a little patience.

Frank

p.s.  On the forum here, there is a search tool.  If you conduct a search of the topic or question that you have, more than likely it has already been discussed and you will find the answer to your question very quickly.  No waiting for someone to respond.  How niice is that?

hi
I am having same problem only i never get email with instructions. please help.
JohnPhillips

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2006, 07:18:35 PM »

Rod, I've already built my website with the site builder and plan to switch to hosting to create a home page with a template and add other pages. But I want to keep the pages already made. I know I have to create an index page (my home page?) then sub-folders for each further pages before FTP. What is the first task I have to do? And shall I be able to call each page otherwise than page2, page3, page4...? thanks.
canalgi.ws
=============
Gisele,
I really like your webpage but you should consider changing the title "yourbusiness.ws" on the top of your page as it leads to another affiliates page if entered into one's browser. This is assuming that it is not another domain which you have.
Wishing you and all GDIers the Best of Success!
JohnPhillips

Have a Great Life Starting Today!
LiranGan-Or

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2006, 10:13:27 AM »

Hello i tried connecting through the cuteftp to the .ws server
i used the information that was mailed to me
it was able to connect to the ip address, to the username
but the password is denied
it says the problem is with my host
i tried it at least 5 times in the last 2 days
and mailed our support
also tried to login directly to the server
but it gives me an error on my password
that was given to me
what can i do now?
no answer from the support
and i do want to transfer files and start building my new site
the second one i purchesed
any one can help me here?
liran
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2006, 09:19:18 PM »

Make sure your password is typed in accurately. It is case SeSITivE. Apart from that the only thing I can think of is eiter a username error or an FTP host error. Your username is also case SeSITivE.
AMaitland

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 01:06:27 AM »

Thanks Rod, You're right, it's working now, just needed a little more patience.

I was looking last night at others web sites in the Showcase your Website section and many of them seem to be company made lead capture pages.  It made me wonder if someone drops out is that what their site is replaced with? 

Whether company made lead pages or not most of them seem to be just about GDI and with all the great pages GDI already has set up for us I have to wonder why so many are doing that.  Sure my web site talks about GDI, but it also talks about much more, it's a personal website.  Like the GDI training manual says I also think the best way to promote GDI is OFFline.  Today I got a message from GDI listing some great ideas for what people can do with their web sites, just my opinion but I think things like showcasing what you can do with a personal, family, hobby, or special interest website would be far more effective in promoting GDI than more sites just about GDI would be.

I also have a concern about people using there web sites JUST to promote GDI.  Did you ever here of Sky Biz.  Of course the main reason it was shut down was because it was a front loading scam and GDI is NOTHING like that, but the FTC was also looking at it because all distributors seemed to be doing with their websites was promoting Sky Biz rather than developing other types of content.  I hope that doesn't happen here and I really hope that GDI strongly encorages other types of content that really showcases different uses for web sites and that GDI members listen.

O.K. I'll get off my soap box now!

David

David I completely agree with you, and am looking forward to checking out your site.  My question at this time is when you were having problems accessing ftp in the beginning did an error message like this come up??

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access / on this server.
Apache/2.2.0 (Unix) PHP/4.4.2 mod_vhs/1.0.30 Server at adriennemaitland.ws Port 80

So Help from everyone please... if this is a typical error i'll be patient and wait the 2 days, however when i tried logging into the ftp.hosting.ws pages like it instructs in the email using my username and login as instructed it says not valid either so i can't even see if my directory file came up.  btw way i use dreamweaver for design and their built in ftp... anyone think that could be part of the problem??

thanks for the help... and i'm excited about this... i just started my 7-day trial tonight, and i'm loving the amount of support and information i'm seeing out here
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 01:14:55 AM »

This looks like a path problem. Make sure you type your ftp in exactly as you were instructed and remember it is CaSe SEnsiTive
mack88
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2006, 06:46:23 AM »

When you visit your website and notice this:

Forbidden

Apache/2.2.0 (Unix) PHP/4.4.2 mod_vhs/1.0.30 Server at adriennemaitland.ws Port 80

That is not an error.  It means once you upload your files, your site will be published/live.  You MUST make sure that your home page ends in  index.html or it will not work.  I am not certain about the built in ftp of Dreamweaver oo Frontpage.  In my personal opinion, they do not work seamlessly.  I've had issues trying to upload via the built in FTP in the past with other domains outside of the .ws family.  I suggest that you utilze a FTP program to upload your file to the server.  I've had no issues at all uploading files to the .ws server using my FTP program.

Frank

Thanks Rod, You're right, it's working now, just needed a little more patience.

I was looking last night at others web sites in the Showcase your Website section and many of them seem to be company made lead capture pages.  It made me wonder if someone drops out is that what their site is replaced with? 

Whether company made lead pages or not most of them seem to be just about GDI and with all the great pages GDI already has set up for us I have to wonder why so many are doing that.  Sure my web site talks about GDI, but it also talks about much more, it's a personal website.  Like the GDI training manual says I also think the best way to promote GDI is OFFline.  Today I got a message from GDI listing some great ideas for what people can do with their web sites, just my opinion but I think things like showcasing what you can do with a personal, family, hobby, or special interest website would be far more effective in promoting GDI than more sites just about GDI would be.

I also have a concern about people using there web sites JUST to promote GDI.  Did you ever here of Sky Biz.  Of course the main reason it was shut down was because it was a front loading scam and GDI is NOTHING like that, but the FTC was also looking at it because all distributors seemed to be doing with their websites was promoting Sky Biz rather than developing other types of content.  I hope that doesn't happen here and I really hope that GDI strongly encorages other types of content that really showcases different uses for web sites and that GDI members listen.

O.K. I'll get off my soap box now!

David

David I completely agree with you, and am looking forward to checking out your site.  My question at this time is when you were having problems accessing ftp in the beginning did an error message like this come up??

Forbidden

So Help from everyone please... if this is a typical error i'll be patient and wait the 2 days, however when i tried logging into the ftp.hosting.ws pages like it instructs in the email using my username and login as instructed it says not valid either so i can't even see if my directory file came up.  btw way i use dreamweaver for design and their built in ftp... anyone think that could be part of the problem??

thanks for the help... and i'm excited about this... i just started my 7-day trial tonight, and i'm loving the amount of support and information i'm seeing out here
AMaitland

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2006, 01:56:28 PM »

great all thanks for your help...

frank m i did find a different ftp program to go through as opposed to using dreamweaver.  however i'm still running into the same issue when trying to access it.  i'm now getting login errors invalid username or pass... and i swear to all i've tried inputing this info in about a dozen times now triple checking my entry against the info that .ws sent me...

david i know reading some of your past posts re: ftp (and their consecutive replies)... is it possible that i just need to wait it out two days   I read someone who told you that:

"It sometimes takes 24-48 for the DNS to propagate."

Now i'm totally cool with being patient.... but can someone just explain that phrase to me  Wink ha ha 

my concern is just that if it is a password/username issue, as i can't access with the ftp client or typing in the address in my browser, waiting 2 more days is just that 2 more days, and as i'm going to be promoting the site and buisness in a slightly different way, i need to have my personal site/files up.  and like so many of us newbies out on here, we understand the need for patience, but also don't want the excitement/momentum to fade Smiley  btw i've already contacted support in regards to the user/pass thing.  how long does it typically take for response from support??

thanks everyone for all the help!

adrienne
mack88
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2006, 04:52:07 PM »

Try this site:  www.net2ftp.com  you will be required to login with your username and password, along with your domain name (without the www)  You should be able to log in.  When you log in, it must be in lowercase. 

great all thanks for your help...

frank m i did find a different ftp program to go through as opposed to using dreamweaver.  however i'm still running into the same issue when trying to access it.  i'm now getting login errors invalid username or pass... and i swear to all i've tried inputing this info in about a dozen times now triple checking my entry against the info that .ws sent me...

david i know reading some of your past posts re: ftp (and their consecutive replies)... is it possible that i just need to wait it out two days   I read someone who told you that:

"It sometimes takes 24-48 for the DNS to propagate."

Now i'm totally cool with being patient.... but can someone just explain that phrase to me  Wink ha ha 

my concern is just that if it is a password/username issue, as i can't access with the ftp client or typing in the address in my browser, waiting 2 more days is just that 2 more days, and as i'm going to be promoting the site and buisness in a slightly different way, i need to have my personal site/files up.  and like so many of us newbies out on here, we understand the need for patience, but also don't want the excitement/momentum to fade Smiley  btw i've already contacted support in regards to the user/pass thing.  how long does it typically take for response from support??

thanks everyone for all the help!

adrienne
AMaitland

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2006, 04:02:29 AM »

awesome!

thanks, the link you sent me helped me figure that i do have a working username/pass (whoo-hoo!) and that i've properly uploaded my index.html file to my domain directory so the file is there and i'll finish uploading the rest of the files for the site...

however going to my actual site brings up the same

Forbidden
you don't have permission to access etc...

exact same error as before, i'm going to wait for 2 days and see if anything changes.  but at least i know that the file(s) are where they need to be.

if anyone has any other ideas as to why the access permission to my site is denied go ahead and throw them out there for me.  Thanks!
R_Antuliene

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2006, 08:05:11 AM »

Hello Smiley

I wanted to create a website using Front Page, and not
using inside Builder however I have a real troubles to
upload the web site through FTP.

> Your hosting account for ruta-antuliene.ws has
> been activated and is ready for IMMEDIATE use!

> Here is the information you need to configure
> your FTP program so you can upload your site's
> files to our server:

>      Address or Host: ftp.hosting.ws
> ....and so on................

All looks nice Smiley Ihave tried....

At the beginning I have build simple homepage at:
using SiteBuilder:
http://ruta-antuliene.ws/

Then in options part I have changed to "High Quality
Housting" and put through FTP program simple
index.html file to directory:
ruta-antuliene.ws, however when I tried to
load the homepage http://ruta-antuliene.ws/
I again see my old homepage that were biult with
SiteBuilder. Why ?
From another side when I connect to ftp.housting.ws
I see directory ruta-antuliene.ws empty... How it
can be ??

> This is the main directory for your
> ruta-antuliene.ws site.
> All your site's files must be uploaded here.
> Please note, your
> home page MUST be named:

>      index.html

Yes, I made index.html file and put to directory
"ruta-antuliene.ws" but the page:
http://ruta-antuliene.ws stays the old one...
I tried again and again and no result...

Can anybody help me please   (?). Thank you in advance. ^^

Ruth
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: