April 26, 2024, 04:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I ftp with GDI?  (Read 84426 times)
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2007, 11:05:31 PM »

hi everyone,
i am new to GDI and already saw your huge support to one another. so nice to see that.
can anyone help me out with this?. i am using hosting service. when i finished a couple of web pages i published them with MSpublisher2003 and before i used frontpage which is good but not as versatile as much.The problem is that whatever i try, photos and links to other sites won't show??? and its frustrating.

any answers please?

Thanks everyone
TOM

Hi Tom,

This sounds like a path problem. Either the name is incorrectly typed or the path is wrong. Frontpage from memory is not case sensitive whereas GDI is on a unix server which is case sensitive. WRT the path try putting in the full URL and see if that works. If this is the problem make sure you have your directories set up properly.
JohnConnor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2007, 03:51:59 AM »

Heya, 
I am hoping someone can help me.   I want to load html files on my website and understand that I need to switch my account to basic hosting however I did that once and didn't know where to go from there.   I got so frustrated that I just switched it back.   From reading similar questions, I need to get ftp software??   I am very new at this and not quite sure how I go about doing that.    When I made the pre-emptive switch, I got an email saying my basic hosting was active and got some instructions that seemed complete gibberish to me.    I apologize for my ignorance but really hope I can get some help learning how to load html files to my website and learning the raw basics (ie:  step one - turn your computer on...hahahah)  of getting this figured out.   I really love the site builder software but hope I can take my website even further by loading html files.     
Any and all help is very appreciated.
Thanks,
John
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2007, 02:06:13 AM »

Heya, 
I am hoping someone can help me.   I want to load html files on my website and understand that I need to switch my account to basic hosting however I did that once and didn't know where to go from there.   I got so frustrated that I just switched it back.   From reading similar questions, I need to get ftp software??   I am very new at this and not quite sure how I go about doing that.    When I made the pre-emptive switch, I got an email saying my basic hosting was active and got some instructions that seemed complete gibberish to me.    I apologize for my ignorance but really hope I can get some help learning how to load html files to my website and learning the raw basics (ie:  step one - turn your computer on...hahahah)  of getting this figured out.   I really love the site builder software but hope I can take my website even further by loading html files.     
Any and all help is very appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Hi John, I moved this post over to the FTP thread. You need some FTP software like Cute FTP or WS FTP to transfer your files to the server. If you are using Microsoft Front Page to build HTML pages, it has built in FTP capabilities.
JohnConnor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2007, 04:26:42 AM »

I have downloaded Smart FTP and loaded the log in information but my activation email states that my homepage needs to be named 'Index.html'.
Could you please provide any instruction for that?   At the moment, I'm still getting the following error when I try to see my site live "Forbidden - You do not have permission to access / on this server".   I'm guessing the index.html for my home page has something to do with this error?   
I appreciate any instructional help about this.
Thanks,
John
ps.  Thanks for moving this over to the appropriate place!
JohnConnor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2007, 03:11:55 AM »

I also forgot to mention that I am using Smart FTP however I am unclear on how I upload an index.html file to my homepage or change my homepage to index.html....
Is there some instruction any one can provide on how to do that?   I think I am missing some basic step to get my website back up by doing this.    Just a thought, should I have changed my home page to index.html before I switched it to basic hosting?   If so, any instruction on how I do that??
Seriously confused and frustrated -
Thanks,
John Connor
Michael Antonio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2007, 05:09:29 AM »

I make use of Frontpage and WS FTP in building my site. Here are some basic things you need to do:

1. Your homepage SHOULD be saved as "index.html" this is a requirement as emailed by GDI when you change your subscription from "Build mY Site" to "Web Hosting" Simply saved your homepage ex "johnhomepage.html" into "index.html" use the menu (in Frontpage) File -- Save As.

2. Upload ALL your files to the "ftp.hosting.ws" server. I mean ALL your files that is connected with your "index.html" (all photos, .jpegs,.gif that you used. And simply change the path to "\.filename".  For example (in Frontpage) your homepage has a picture named mypix.jpeg located in your PC with path "C:mypage\mypix.jpeg". Simply change the pathy to "\mypix.jpeg" once you transferred it to the GDI server.

Hope this helps.

"Chance favors those who persists"!  Build Your List - Secret to Success!
Ioana Daniela_Stan

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 30, 2007, 01:45:31 PM »

Winkhttp://
BCox

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2008, 07:03:23 AM »

As for an FTP application, I highly recommend Unlimited FTP Online. I've used it exclusively for about 3 or 4 years. You use it online, not on your computer. I like the fact that I can open a file that resides on my website, and make quick edits with Notepad or Wordpad, then ftp the update. I can do this on any computer with an internet computer... even at the library, if need be. Their interface is very easy to use. If you are like me and have lots of websites to manage, you can save all of their settings in your account. Then all you have to do is click on the website you want to access and it takes you right there.

This is their entry point, where you can sign up for a free account. http://www.unlimitedftp.ca/myftp/

RBernardis

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2008, 02:19:50 PM »

but there aren't "premium hosting" in options..

Hello, I've built a personal web site that I want to host with GDI, but while I can find the links and set up for the online site builder I can't find any to links, set up, or instructions to ftp my site.  So how do I bypass the site builder and use ftp with GDI??? 

Thanks,

David

Hello David,

First you must go into your Members Area and set your domain to premium hosting.  You will then receive an email stating that your hosting is activated.  However, you must wait 12-24 hours for the domain to do its thing through the DNS servers.  After that type your URL into your browser, if you paged is indexed, you will know and see it.  You will then need an FTP program to upload your files. There are numerous FTP programs on the Net (some free, some not).  Once uploaded your pages will be displayed.  It is a very simple process if you follow these steps and have a little patience.

Frank

p.s.  On the forum here, there is a search tool.  If you conduct a search of the topic or question that you have, more than likely it has already been discussed and you will find the answer to your question very quickly.  No waiting for someone to respond.  How niice is that?
Cheryl Marko

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2008, 02:32:40 PM »

Can anybody help me im new to all this building of websites and hosting....do i have to get a seperate program like a FTP program to host my website on the internet or does GDI do that for me and if not where the heck do i start using the program and how...im soo lost plz help...thanks

cheryl
Cheryl Marko

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2008, 08:12:02 PM »

Hi im new to GDI and im trying to get my website on the web...from what i have been reading...in order to do this you need to get a ftp program which i have...not sure how to work it...like i said im new and confused....so i want my website on the web...can somebody plz help me not sure where the files are that i have to upload and what to do...so i guess thats why im here...i know some of the internet stuff but doing websites and autotransponders and all that mumbo jumbo is very confusing to me....i want my business to work but i need som help.....thanks

cheryl Smiley
Ozlem S

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »

Sorry, I cant speak English because I am a Turkısh

My sponsor say .... you can use FTP

There is not a FTP password

I must use different template

For a beloved thankings Huh
Gordon Milton

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2008, 09:26:32 AM »

Sorry, I cant speak English because I am a Turkısh

My sponsor say .... you can use FTP

There is not a FTP password

I must use different template

For a beloved thankings Huh

Hi:

if you are using filezilla http://filezilla-project.org/

the host URL is ftp.hosting.ws
the server type is FTP
the user is your GDI login username
the password is your GDI login password

I hope this helps,

Gordon
NicolasVelasquez

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »

Hi I would like to know how can I install a forum in my webpage, right now I found something called phpbb it's a forum that you can install, but also I hava to have something called FTP client, so I got something called Filezilla, but now in the instructions I have to have the the url from my host, but I don't know where to get that information, I was trying to guess it so I was typing "ftp.myusername.website.ws" but it's not working.
I'm wondering if it works with the sitebuilder?
Take into account that I'm a complete begginer, I'm not familiar with all this computer terms like "FTP" or "host"

Please help me...
Tidarut Hansub-Udom

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2008, 11:55:29 AM »

As for an FTP application, I highly recommend Unlimited FTP Online. I've used it exclusively for about 3 or 4 years. You use it online, not on your computer. I like the fact that I can open a file that resides on my website, and make quick edits with Notepad or Wordpad, then ftp the update. I can do this on any computer with an internet computer... even at the library, if need be. Their interface is very easy to use. If you are like me and have lots of websites to manage, you can save all of their settings in your account. Then all you have to do is click on the website you want to access and it takes you right there.

This is their entry point, where you can sign up for a free account. http://www.unlimitedftp.ca/myftp/

I like Unlimited FTP Online; I'm using that for my website....the new sitebuilder has given me problems and headaches. But I really want to know how you can go about with getting your links within the site to work. I tried to have two of my links go to different parts of the site, but it goes to the main page...plus the fact that I haven't done FTP since...2000-2001? Am I doing something wrong? HELP PLEASE!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: