April 25, 2024, 07:25:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Build a SOLID team and retain them!  (Read 51072 times)
DavidFoster

"What would you do if you weren't afraid?

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2005, 10:46:08 AM »

So many times people want to build a business and make tons of money but they forget a lot of little things that affect their whole organization, and that is how to actual build a downline, and more than that...how to retain them once they have them. This is the demise of so many lines in GDI. You get to where you have 30-40 people in your line and then all of a sudden they start dropping like flies. You instinctually want to blame this on GDI and the system, but the truth is, it's part your uplines fault, and part your fault. As a team leader...meaning if you have people in your organization, you should be a leader, or at least have access to one so that your organization has somewhere to go to get the basics of how this all works. Some people think that if they have a web-site and a URL that people should just go to it because it is online and it just does not work that way.

That is why it is crucial to your business to learn your product AND learn how to market it. Look at it like this. If someone came and dumped 1000 bottles of the most sought after product in the world in your drive way, if you just grabbed a chair and went out and sat by it, you would never get any one to buy it, other than maybe an occasional straggler that happened to see you sitting by a bunch of bottles in your driveway and walked up out of curiosity. You see, if you have no idea how to market, you are dead in the water. It does not matter WHAT your product is.

Most people are not interested in the product anyway. They are looking at the pay plan, and the ease of making money. If people were looking for a product, they would not jump from business to business. When people jump like that, they are really looking for a better pay plan or looking for someone to actually take the time and train them.

Did you know that once you actually learn how to market your service, and can teach your downline how to do the same, you will have nothing else to do but succeed?

« Last Edit: June 17, 2005, 10:46:59 AM by ChipSnyder » Logged

David Foster

"Practice a few simple disciplines daily, and you will succeed"
Nicole Taylor

Welcome to Talk.ws!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 11:10:07 AM »

Hello David,

I think you made a good point! Not only do you have to learn the product, but you also have to like the product.

Nicole

I make a good income right from home while I am drinking Starbucks and eating my cinnamon crumb cake.
TerryH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2005, 12:13:31 PM »

Great point David. If I can add one more thing. It's up to each individual GDI BUSINESS OWNER to seek out the info they need so they can learn. There's a ton of helpful info sll over the place, starting with the WS radio archives.
I've learned alot just involving myself in these forums.
Terry
SheliaEvans-appah

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 08:33:01 AM »

hello david  you know that made a lot of sense thank you for the input I am going to try harder to make this business work..sheliaeappah

love shelia
CKing

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 01:39:43 AM »

i have a question.. my downline is suffering from what you just mentioned.. theyre driopping off like flies.. once i see people dropping.. WHERE DO I GO TO GET THE INFO TO RETAIN THEM??? i was never told this by my upline.. what website do i go to?? or what forum.. where are the scripts?? what should i say???
JamesCruz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 11:11:23 AM »

I think the ability to move new members under your downline helps in building a solid team and make them stay because it makes the members, especially the newbies, feel that they're not alone in building their GDI business. It helps them get into profit sooner too.

Too bad we can only move them to our first level now. I think it's better that we be able to do it to at least 2 to 3 levels deep. Could we request that this feature be allowed down to 2 or 3 levels?
DavidFoster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 02:15:07 AM »

So many times people want to build a business and make tons of money but they forget a lot of little things that affect their whole organization, and that is how to actual build a downline, and more than that...how to retain them once they have them. This is the demise of so many lines in GDI. You get to where you have 30-40 people in your line and then all of a sudden they start dropping like flies. You instinctually want to blame this on GDI and the system, but the truth is, it's part your uplines fault, and part your fault. As a team leader...meaning if you have people in your organization, you should be a leader, or at least have access to one so that your organization has somewhere to go to get the basics of how this all works. Some people think that if they have a web-site and a URL that people should just go to it because it is online and it just does not work that way.

That is why it is crucial to your business to learn your product AND learn how to market it. Look at it like this. If someone came and dumped 1000 bottles of the most sought after product in the world in your drive way, if you just grabbed a chair and went out and sat by it, you would never get any one to buy it, other than maybe an occasional straggler that happened to see you sitting by a bunch of bottles in your driveway and walked up out of curiosity. You see, if you have no idea how to market, you are dead in the water. It does not matter WHAT your product is.

Most people are not interested in the product anyway. They are looking at the pay plan, and the ease of making money. If people were looking for a product, they would not jump from business to business. When people jump like that, they are really looking for a better pay plan or looking for someone to actually take the time and train them.

Did you know that once you actually learn how to market your service, and can teach your downline how to do the same, you will have nothing else to do but succeed?

There is a great way to retain Reps and that is to just assure them that they are not alone! Most of you already feel that way because you signed up and have no idea how to market, prospect, and many other aspects of a home based business. The problem in some cases is your upline has no idea either. It is hard to venture into unknown territory only to find that there is no light at the end of the tunnel and you have to stop and go right back to where you started.

If you want to learn how to Market your business, contact your upline. Not your immediate upline, but go up 5 levels. Keep going until you find the answers that you seek. Leaders are made this way! To be a leader, you have to sometimes take the initiative, and just do it yourself! That is what happened to me. I have built my organizations because I took the time to figure it out and read, and study and trail and error. It has cost me literally thousands of dollars to make these mistakes, but I am a smarter person for it. Since I did this and found things that work, I now can be the upline that people need to succeed. People just need SOMETHING to duplicate.

Questions are always welcome and I am here to help everyone because I believe in people and their ability to learn.

HAPPY GDIing!!!

David Foster

HowardMartell

"Repetition is the mother of all Skills"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 06:15:19 AM »

David,

I wanted to thank you for the very honest and eye opening truth about building any business.

People this what I did contacted everyone in my upline on all levels this created massive momentum for me and my team and solid support base.

I usually only lose a few people every few weeks and its not from them not getting support or training it is something else death in the family or timing in their lives.

The name of the game is building relationship and encouraging those serious business partners by providing guidance.

PatBrown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2005, 12:43:52 PM »

Hi David,

Congratulations for being one of the best MLM persons around who has an excellent retention in your down-line.  Also, Congratulations that you are one of the best at teaching people to duplicate you in accepting the compensation plan and that the product quality should not matter.  I guess I can say:  Job well done or is it really?

When I offer GDI to potential prospects, I want to be proud that we have a quality and reliable product as well.  I want our hosting service to be just as good as those services (perhaps one of the best).  There are many good hosting services out there that are not in MLM; this concept makes GDI unique by being a top-leveled domain and hosting service offering MLM.  I have been using a hosting company, that offers an excellent  template system with excellent pricing plans, for the past four years.  The company is excellent and is considering reviewing the possibility of going MLM.  I inquired with them about their status of MLM.  Their response was that, for now, they still prefer to ensure that they are offering a quality product and a reliable hosting service.  They will continue to observe and monitor the retention of customers before rolling out the MLM program.  They are considering visiting the idea of MLM within the next year and expressed that they have had great success with retaining members, including me, based on the product and services!

Here is why I am really responding to your post.  You are saying that the drop out rate of members is reflected on the up-lines and their lack of ability and marketing skills to retain their down-line.  For one thing, there are many of us who offer our down line assistance to no end and still lose them anyway.  The few, in my down line, that I have had the opportunity to inquire with about why they canceled, said that they want to use and promote a quality product with MLM which is why they tried out GDI.  These people prefer to use templates to build their websites; GDI's template system does not meet their needs.  They expressed that if they like the product themselves, then promoting it as MLM is secondary for them.  Their recommending GDI will be based on quality products and services first, then MLM.  I did tell them about the new template system that is expected; they said that they may reconsider GDI again if they provide a desirable template system.

I do not plan to teach duplication of a SCAM, which is how your post sounds to me, even if it is not meant this way.  I don't believe that it is GDI's idea or practice to just teach people that all that matters is making money, and the product should not be of concern.  GDI is a unique business with a hosting MLM opportunity unlike .com, .net, .org, etc.  They need to retain people, and if people like the product and services, than customers remaining should increase the retention rate without the up-lines have to be marketing and retention pros.  I really feel that GDI wants to the best MLM hosting service and not looked upon as just another SCAM offering low quality services and products for $10.00 per month just to make the bucks!

Pat

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pat

"Some people dream of success while others put in effort to make it happen!"
DavidFoster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2005, 03:16:07 AM »

I somewhat disagree with you Pat. You may stay in touch with your team and that is great. I am not saying that if you stay in touch with your team that you will instantly retain them all, I am saying the % increases. You will NEVER have 100% retention and we know this.

You ask 95% of the people in this business why they are here and I would bet they will say to make money. I know GDI has a great product that people can use, but what really catches people is the money or the "movie" would concentrate on the products and not the pay plan. If people just wanted a good product with e-mail and a free web-site they could use Geocities through Yahoo, but they do not. People are not making fliers and spending money on leads to push a product, they are pushing a pay plan and a future. Like I said before, people don't care about product. No body markets product. They market pay plans. "Whether you think you can or can't, your right" ~Michael Starr Reed            Do you think he means succeed? Indeed and he means succeed by making money in THIS business.

David Foster

PatBrown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 02:37:31 AM »

It is okay do disagree with what I am saying as I am disagreeing with you.  That's why people are entitled to express their opinions.  We all have to make choices, which should be based on what each of us believe and proceed with what we are comfortable with.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pat

PatBrown

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2005, 02:07:36 PM »

I came across a site that offers valuable information and something to think about.  I am not going to post the link because it has information on it that contains advertisement and this is not my intent; I am in with GDI for the long ride.  I believe that GDI wants the best for all of us and not just numbers of people coming and going!  I just wanted to copy and paste some of the article to share with others who support quality first and for those who have not given that area of the business much thought.  I believe in quality first and then quantity as this order will contribute to greater retention of long-term members.  I know this is a long posting.  I attempted to see what I could leave out; but, I found the whole article to be interesting as well as educational.  Any one is welcome to disagree with this content, because we all have our beliefs and operate accordingly.

Web hosting and affiliate programs
[/color]
What's an affiliate program?  Basically an affiliate, referral or associate program works on the following principle: you send potential clients and get paid for each actual customer referred by you. Now, you can be paid a fixed amount per sale or a percent of the sale that you referred, but I'll not get into that much detail. I'm sure you get the idea: you refer a customer, you get paid.

What defines a good hosting affiliate program
[/color]
Most people think (wrongly) that the best hosting affiliate program is the one that pays the most. While this is certainly an important aspect, it is not the most important. Sure, it's good to be paid a respectful, fair amount, and getting paid appropriately should be one of your goals.

However, to be a successful affiliate, you have to think about your visitors first. When you recommend a product you have to be as sure as possible that you're doing a good job. Think about it from your visitor's point of view: What's more important, the amount of money you'll receive or the quality of the service you're recommending?

You got it right! It's the quality of the service. If you plan to recommend a hosting service make sure it's a very good one. The good news is that recommending a good hosting service will do you good: you'll get the respect of your visitors and that is more valuable than money because it can potentially pay you ten folds over time.

Just think about it! If the visitor winds up paying for a hosting service that is unsatisfying, then he'll feel that you and your website are some of the main reasons this had happened. That means that you're building a bad reputation and who wants that?

The most important thing that defines a good hosting affiliate program is the quality of the hosting itself.

Another important thing important is the payment schedule. How often will the checks be sent? Once, twice per month? It can be good to receive checks on a regular basis. However, more important than that is if the schedule is actually respected.

Unfortunately there's no sure method to find out if the checks are delivered as promised. The only method to bring forth this type of information is to find another affiliate of that company and ask them directly about their experience.

Levels/tiers
[/color]
Hosting affiliate programs, like most affiliate programs, can have more than a single level or tier. This works like this: you refer someone to their site and that someone also becomes an affiliate. Then, for every sale generated by that affiliate you also get paid, usually a significantly smaller amount compared to the one you're being paid for a direct sale. But you get paid nevertheless!

For some types of websites, with a suited audience, the second level is actually more lucrative than the first. Such sites are the so called affiliate directories that used to flourish a few years ago.

If your website would work better with a second level you should then look for a hosting company that uses a 2-tier affiliate program because not all hosting companies use a second one.

Why not? I think I know the reason for that and if I'm right it's mostly an overreaction on the part of the hosting company. This levels thing is in a way closely related to MLM or multilevel marketing. In multilevel marketing there are usually many levels, most of the times over 4 of them. This is how things get pyramidal and why the one at the top of the pyramid gets lots of money obtained through the work of others.

However, a 2-tier hosting affiliate program is very far from that kind of business model. It is in my opinion the fair approach to affiliate programs and should be used by all hosting companies. Why? Because it's fair towards the affiliate.

Suppose you send a person to the hosting company and that person doesn't sign-up for the hosting services. Instead he/she signs-up for their affiliate program and produces hundreds of sales per month. It was because of you that she got there and you should be rewarded for this.

In a 1 tier affiliate program you'd not get a cent for referring that affiliate. In 2-tiers affiliate programs you do get paid - and you deserve it!

Recurring payment
[/color]
There are some affiliate programs where you get paid in a different way. Once a referred person signs-up for hosting that person is associated to your affiliate account and you receive a small percent (usually around 10-15%) from every single payment made by that person. Say he/she signs for a $9/month hosting plan. You then could receive for example $1 every month as long as that person stays with that hosting company.

This type of affiliate program has the advantage of offering you the chance of a relatively constant, secure and growing income.

Looking for a hosting affiliate program
[/color]
It might come as a surprise to many of you, but if you want to be a responsible affiliate there's plenty to be done. First you have to search for good hosting companies, so you'd better take a look at my other articles where I explain how to find them.

For a responsible affiliate (responsible towards its visitors), this is the most important step in finding a good hosting affiliate program, but you'd be surprised how few are those that care about this. I would venture to guess that under 5% of hosting affiliates actually care about this.

Most people looking for hosting companies with affiliate programs ask on forums if payment (check) is sent on time and or how much a company pays per sale. I have yet to find someone asking to find a good hosting company that also happens to have an affiliate program and pay on time. No! Almost everyone is concerned with their profits. Sure, it's understandable, but what about the services they're recommending? Are they really worthy of a recommendation?

The recommendation of hosting services is a very valuable service as long as it's done properly, with care and responsibility. Look at it like this: suppose the visitor is someone who runs into you when you're downtown and asks you "What time is it?" You'll take a look at your watch and tell him the answer, right?

If that same person is on your website and looks for a host what do you do? You refer him/her to the host that pays you the most? No, you should refer the visitors to the host that is the best you've found! Consider the affiliate program and the payment you might receive to be a bonus! 'Cause that's what it is!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 03:12:25 PM by ChipSnyder » Logged

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Pat

gdi
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2005, 02:13:47 PM »

Agreed!

A sound product that is timely plus, the opportunity to share with others and profit, is the classic *win-win*!

Chip
« Last Edit: July 02, 2005, 03:15:41 PM by ChipSnyder » Logged
StacyPerez

Me thinking as usual ..lol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 04:28:37 AM »

David,

What a fantastic topic!!!

Retention is certainly key.. building relationships and helping people make
money fast.. PLUS educating people about the value of what the product is..

HONESTLY.. I would hope if someone sees my vision. .AND they sign
up because of it.. THEY will stay..

WHAT is awesome is .. we can reward those that are recruiting new
members/affiliates.. BY moving one we sponsor to them.. I think that
would certainly help show people we care.. AND help build more
Master Affiliates..

I am excited here..

Thank you,
Stacy Perez

Stacy Perez
"Inspiring and Helping Parents Work From Home"
Gerald Yancey

I just love sinking my teeth into this business!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2005, 07:41:04 AM »

We have the best of both worlds...... hosting services and domain name services! Cheesy

Gerald

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: