March 28, 2024, 12:41:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: New WebBuilder!! New vs. Old...  (Read 52191 times)
gdi
« on: August 05, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »

The upgraded WebBuilder has been released.

Please share your constructive Posts re: new vs. old.

Also, help us perfect the migration/transition by
using the Help/Debug Report in the WebBuilder
OR, contact .WS Support.

Chip Snyder
Admin
Mike Lassley

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:53:58 AM »

Chip,
Constructive requests, new vs old. I need help with the new sitebuilder. I was just learning to use the old sitebuilder successfully now I'm lost. And of course I was in the middle of a project when the change came.

How can I get back to old saved blocks to edit? My old blocks still publish but when I go to the new everthing is scrambled or missing.
How or where do you log off?
Is there a glossery or something to help us beginners find our way through. The help menu doesn't lead to solutions. Just need some help, please?

Mike
RobertM3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »

Hi  All

New Webbuilder very very slow VS Old - One spends more time waiting on page loading than anything else....

Regards
Robert  ( South Africa )

Rob
Jason_F

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »

So far I am totally unhappy with the new webbuilder.  I typically update my website quite often and when I logged onto the new builder I discovered my site was a complete mess.  After a little bit of playing around with it I thought I had it figured out and sat there for a good couple hours rebuilding my home page.  I saved my work, previewed it, it looked ok, but when I published it all that showed up was the first text box.  Everything else had just dissapeared.  Thankfully I had everything back up on notebook.  Anyway this is day 2 of just trying to fix my homepage and I am about fed up.  I used the old sitebuilder since I signed up to ws with no problems, only thing I would have changed was the 4000 character limit.  Also, it won't let me put in my own google ads etc., everytime i put in the html it is replaced with <div></div>.  Anyway I used the sitebuilder for convience, but I guess I am going to have to start using the hosting option if I can't get the new builder to cooperate.
PCarr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »

I like being able to move content and close the gaps between the content blocks.  However, the button that is supposed to reduce the height of the page doesn't do anything.  I can't get rid of the big block of white space at the bottom.

The thing that really bothers me is that my page doesn't fit in the browser window any more.  It is apparently set for only one screen resolution and will not resize.  I'm using 1024 x 768, and the page does not fit in the window.  There is nothing you can do about it, because you cannot change the size of the header (with the page title, slogan, and links).

In Internet Explorer, if you maximize the window to try and see all the content, it disappears completely until you refresh the page!

Pages that I have not edited with the new editor automatically resize to fit in the browser window using either Firefox or IE.

I waited 3 days for the editor to get updated so I could make some needed changes, but now that I've changed one page I'm afraid to do any more until the problems get fixed.
I have turned in some bug reports.  Hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

R.Lorenzo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »

We are now not able to put our videos on here that we made on you tube.

Well at least I have not been able to.

Is this because of copyright issues?
CraigTraudt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 09:54:02 AM »

I prefer the old builder. Do we have an option that allows us to use the old builder?
Dave H

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 04:02:54 PM »

Huh Only half of the links on my home page to my other pages work, doing the same thing for all pages so can''t understand why it's not working.. despite all my efforts to correct this..no luck..will keep on trying..but find it confusing to say the least..sorry!

"I never ran 1000 miles. I could never have done that. I ran one mile 1000 times."
- Stu Mittleman, World Record Holder for Ultra-Distance running.
DavidFox

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2008, 02:58:05 PM »

While using the site builder if you hit save you still need to hit the go back button so the actual content you are working will be saved to be published. If you do not select the go back button even though you used save all the content will be lost. I think this should be fixed so once the save button in initiated all content is automatically saved and the person then has another button to publish it right then and there automatically. As some people computers have glitches or they may lose their connection any variety of reasons this would be appropriate for the work they are putting in promoting this business.

Also on the content blocks, all html banner ads should be automatically displayed just by copy and paste.

And on the content blocks if you have too many in a row the select properties to edit one it sometimes throws it into a different section of the site and the only thing to do is to delete it and start over.
April Lowe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2008, 01:47:00 PM »

Hi;

April Lowe here, I see by the replies already submitted that I'm not the only one having trouble with the new site builder.  I agree that it's slow and aggravating.  I formerly suspected my dial-up connection being the problem.  I've been trying to revise my homepage since Monday.  Now, it's Friday, and I still haven't accomplished anything.  I know when you build something new, you have to work out some bugs which is why you asked for our input, but what was wrong with the old one?  Haven't heard "if it's not broken, don't fixi it?  I know I'm not the only one that would like the old one back.  Forgive me, but the new site builder has the nature of a vacume.

redhead58
JonB1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2008, 01:47:01 PM »

Huh

The new site builder is probably intended to be less intimidating and more user friendly for first timers based on its cartoonish appearance.
However, the old version was more along the lines of more professional web creation tools as it was "Word" based.

Everyone knows how to use MS Word or other word processing software. You can't get simpler than that. 
Plus more advanced users were able to insert and edit HTML code.

It may not look as fun, but is much more familiar to the average user. Most GDI members aren't here for fun anyway.
This is a business oriented customer base.

The graphics look like they are geared towards kids, not business minded adults. Besides, most kids are more computer savvy than adults.
The graphic interface only slows things down. Personal "fun" websites come with most ISP packages anyway, and they all use a word processor based
site building tool with optional advanced features.

I would definitely appreciate the option to choose between SiteBuilder versions.

Last, but not least, I use a Mac. The vague help pages say to "right click" for editing, but Macs don't have a right button and the standard "control click"
substitute doesn't seem to work.
JohnSprague

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »

Chip- The new system has a whole lot of problems. Wish the programmers had worked the bugs out before releasing it. But worse than that, my meta tags don't show up in my source code now and security is gone. Already someone has added their copyrights to my work. Guess I don't have to go on. You can go to my site at http://johnsprague.ws and see for yourself. Hope the developers will straighten this mess out for me and I suspect for just about everyone else!   my email is johnsprague3@hotmail.com
SMorton

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »

I just returned from vacation yesterday and was thrilled to see that the new sitebuilder has been introduced as I've been eagerly awaiting its arrival.  However, I've just tried to play around with it and have had a frustrating time.

My main concern with the previous sitebuilder (apart from the limit to the text block size) was the limited selection of templates.  Where are the new ones? I still can only access the original selection eventhough the info talks about business and nature designs.  Are the new templates only available if you are creating a website for the first time or have they just not been added yet? 

Can anyone else access the new templates?  My sites both have the max of 10 pages, so I can't create a new page to see what happens.

Sandra
TimH

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »

is everyone getting into the sitebuilder? I am not able to get into it. I click on site builder and enter my details but when i click submit it just asks for my detauils again. whats the go with that?

Tim - ClubGDI.com
CraigTraudt

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:02 AM »

I guess we all have to guess what you are doing about our problems.

You have made it difficult to use our websites.

Don't we deserve some information about how we can use them again?

Should we use a different company that will give us information about using the product we are paying for each month?

GDI, you did not improve things for most of us, in fact you have done just the reverse.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: