March 28, 2024, 09:12:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: SEO: SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION  (Read 38275 times)
MariaB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 04:49:19 PM »

Thank you!   Okay, now what is a site map and how do you make one?? Huh Grin

Thank you!
Maria

P.S.  This forum is a blessing!
Nicole Taylor

Welcome to Talk.ws!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 06:44:09 PM »

Hello Maria,

I would suggest surfing the Web and researching how others have created their site map. Then you can visually see how one looks.

A few things to keep in mind:

1. Add a text link on the front of your site. This way search engines and visitors can locate it
2. Make sure your site map not only has links, but also good content.
3. Organize your sitemap into categories so that visitors can easily locate what they're looking for.

Nicole

I make a good income right from home while I am drinking Starbucks and eating my cinnamon crumb cake.
Nicole Taylor

Welcome to Talk.ws!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2005, 06:52:25 PM »

Maria,

A site map is like a table of contents.

Nicole

I make a good income right from home while I am drinking Starbucks and eating my cinnamon crumb cake.
CWarnock

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 09:43:34 AM »

I'm at a loss on what format do we use. How do you enter a phrase? Between the phrase do you use a comma to separate the terms?
Nicole Taylor

Welcome to Talk.ws!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 09:59:03 AM »

Hello,

Here is an example of how Meta Tags are used.

<META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<META NAME="Title" CONTENT="Your site's title">
<META NAME="Subject" CONTENT="Your site's subject">
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Your site's description">
<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="keyword1, keyword2, keyword3">
<META NAME="Language" CONTENT="English">
<META NAME="Distribution" CONTENT="Global">
<META NAME="Robots" CONTENT="All">
<META NAME="Category" content="Your Website's Category"> 
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="Your Websites logo or graphic">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">

Nicole
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 07:08:52 PM by Nicole Taylor » Logged

KentDavis

Take those dreams and make them realities

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2005, 03:47:18 PM »

Nicole,

I don't understand Meta Tags.  Is there something I need to download first?  All my paragraphs are bunched up into one solid straight line with no separation from different subjects. 

Thanks,    Kent
Nicole Taylor

Welcome to Talk.ws!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2005, 03:58:58 PM »

Nicole,

I don't understand Meta Tags.  Is there something I need to download first?  All my paragraphs are bunched up into one solid straight line with no separation from different subjects. 

Thanks,    Kent

Kent,

You add the meta tags into your HTML code just like you see in the above picture. I would suggest going around to different Websites and viewing the source code, so you get the idea. You can view the source code by selecting "View" and then Source within your browser.

Nicole

Kyra Tuey

Don't just be in it for now, be in it for LIFE!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2005, 05:12:14 PM »

Kent,

You can also just do a search on, say Google, for Meta Tags and it can be explained from various different sites!

Kyra

Thanks,
Kyra
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2005, 10:11:52 PM »

I used to be the Meta Tag mod at Search Engine Forums.

You will find a good article here:-
http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167931

You wil find a meta tag generator here:-
http://vancouver-webpages.com/META/mk-metas.html
KathrynWalker

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 10:45:03 AM »

Is there a place in GDI where one can search as we used to in printed manuals?  I have been a member for over a year and have done nothing -- but would like to get started.  I need an education on web design, graphics available, terms defined (for instance what the heck is a meta tag?)  I'd also like information on ideal sites, etc.  Roll Eyes

I am a grandmother (young in heart even if the calendar doesn't recognize it) and self taught on the computer.  I've taught myself the skills I needed in various positions.  Now, I'm retired, and want to add to our retirement income. I'm finding there are lots of holes in my knowledge.  I'd also be open to any printed references others have had success with.   

P. S.  I note I am under "Post Moderation" and that my post will appear after approval.  If you're not approved -- are you notified? Huh
Nicole Taylor

Welcome to Talk.ws!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 06:51:42 PM »

Hello Kathryn,

Welcome to GDI's global community!

Once you've made at least 50 posts and have followed the rules of the GDI forum, your moderation will be considered for removal.

Meta Tags are used in HTML for providing to the search engines your keywords and description of your Website. Having the correct keywords can improve your listing within the search engines. Just type "meta tags" in Google or any other word that you need defined. The search engines are wonderful for research!

I recommend viewing the topic called "GREAT Resource For Building Your Website!" and reading the Help section in your Sitebuilder.

Nicole

Richard Ellis

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 06:41:39 AM »

hi all,
      please excuse my ignorance but i only signed up 2 days ago and really need some step by step guidance to submit my free website to a search engine. i have had a go allready but get stuck when the s/engine asks me to save the code it has generated, and paste it into my site. please can someone help a complete novice.
Nicole Taylor

Welcome to Talk.ws!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 10:03:46 AM »

hi all,
      please excuse my ignorance but i only signed up 2 days ago and really need some step by step guidance to submit my free website to a search engine. i have had a go allready but get stuck when the s/engine asks me to save the code it has generated, and paste it into my site. please can someone help a complete novice.

Hello,

You don't have to paste that code into your site. Free search engine submission companies provide a free service and would just appreciate it if you add their button or link to your site.

Nicole

Matthew Green

"Stop thinking about it, Start doing it"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2006, 10:13:36 AM »

Is there a place in GDI where one can search as we used to in printed manuals?  I have been a member for over a year and have done nothing -- but would like to get started.  I need an education on web design, graphics available, terms defined (for instance what the heck is a meta tag?)  I'd also like information on ideal sites, etc.  Roll Eyes

I am a grandmother (young in heart even if the calendar doesn't recognize it) and self taught on the computer.  I've taught myself the skills I needed in various positions.  Now, I'm retired, and want to add to our retirement income. I'm finding there are lots of holes in my knowledge.  I'd also be open to any printed references others have had success with.   

P. S.  I note I am under "Post Moderation" and that my post will appear after approval.  If you're not approved -- are you notified? Huh
Hello,

Meta Tags are similar to the system that you have at your Local Library... The Books are indexed according to their subject, author, language, etc etc

Meta Tags are the Internet equivelant...

Keywords have been mentioned lots in this topic;
I want to add a little about Keywords and adding Weight to your Keywords...
SE's use complex formulas to work out the value of each Keyword in your Meta's
The number of times present, the number of variations (importatant), how often repeats (repeat phrases etc are BAD) Bold Text, H1, 2,3 4 5 Tags (header) as well as colours and alt tabs... there is more to it than this, but to Add a Keyword to your metaTag you need to make sure it plays an importany role to your webpage.

I know that I am Rambling here but actually this is a HUGE SUBJECT that would take days to go into... I just want to give you a bit to be going on with...
There are Porgrammes available that will actually assess your Webpage to see how it ranks, they will also suggest how you need to change things for a better Ranking...   I use a Programme called Web CEO... I can use it to do many neat tricks that would take me forever to work out manually...

Your Keywords should be present in your Url, your Title, the start and end of your page and lots of variations in between.
Your Keywords Should also be present in the Headers of your Page (H1 H2 etc)
Keywords and Meta Tags should not use any special case or will be rejected (*/+='@;:/?><.,!"£$%^&*() etc)

You wnt a high rating to get closer to the Top odf SEARCH RESULTS...
If you have too much erelevant content on your Page (too many words, phrases that do not relate to the Keywords) or worse still, not enough content on your Webpage it will rank very low...

Links from other Websites are also added to the equasion when working out your RANKING...

The more links you have pointing towards your Webpage the better your Ranking will be.... If only it was that simple... If the links to your Website are placed with the wrong Keywords or there is a lot of other links and content, this will actually reduce your RANKING so things like Pixel Ads can seriously harm your PR...

Also if you try to have hidden text etc to booster your PR, they will know about it and penalise you for it. (example the text and background is the same colour or an image obscures the text)

You can also be rejected if you spam the Search Engines... There are many submitters available but most of them will do you more harm than good because they just send out the info regardless of submission rules etc so the Search Engines will block you, easier than asking you to please stop submitting the same page over and over...

I will leave it at this for now because I know that your head is probably hurting already, just ask questions and the answers will be given...

Regards,
Andrzej Lewicki

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 08:11:29 AM »

Hi everybody, could you help me to make my site "visible" to search engines ? When I google for my keywords, my site isn't found. Please help me. My site is http://origamigifts.ws (still under construction)
Regards, Andy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: