March 28, 2024, 07:49:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WS Will Not Rank In The United States  (Read 27486 times)
VParker

Vincent R Parker

View Profile WWW
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:35:47 PM »

Hi all,

So, in promoting the dot WS extension you might get a question or two about the TLD itself.  (I recently wrote an article on that at passiveincome.ws if you want to check it out.)

We all know that it's actually a country code TLD that comes from Western Samoa.  And generally the search engines will rank ccTLD's in the country they come from.  For instance, a dot FR TLD and your website will show more readily in France.

However, some ccTLD's are so widespread that search engines actually treat them as gTLD's (general top level domain).  The full list and a link to Google support on these ccTLD's can be found in that same article on my site.

The dot WS TLD is among that list.  They treat it the same way they would a dot COM.  Meaning, to them, it's a gTLD and not a ccTLD.

But wait a minute, don't dot COM websites rank better anyway?  The answer is, no.  I found no studies that in any way confirmed that dot COM ranks better than any other TLD.  In fact, I did find studies that showed the opposite.

Matt Cutts, leader of the Google Web Spam Division confirmed this by saying, "Sorry, but that's just not true, and as an engineer in the search quality team at Google, I feel the need to debunk this misconception. Google has a lot of experience in returning relevant web pages, regardless of the top-level domain (TLD)."

So, despite what the title claims, dot WS can rank in the United States just as well as a dot COM or dot NET.  It is a valuable alternative to anyone seeking a specific domain name that has been taken by more common TLD's.

Hope that helps!

Vincent R. Parker
Stephanie_Ledoux

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 11:36:42 AM »

Excellent information, thank you!

Stephanie Ledoux
Click on under my picture to view my website
Daniel B2

Daniel J Briere

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:48:27 AM »

You are so right! I, too, found evidence of this here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ws   -and-
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/62399

The second link (Google) has an expandable list that explicitly states Google treats the .WS domain extension as a gTLD (global Top-Level Domain) instead of a ccTLD (county code Top-Level Domain). Long story short, this means a .WS domain ranks just as well as a .COM domain when all other factors remain equal. There is no "penalty" for .WS domain extensions.

"You can have everything you want in life, if you will just help enough other people get what they want."

Daniel J Briere
CashFlow.WS
Visit my Facebook page
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: