April 27, 2024, 03:25:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to use my .ws domain on a blog  (Read 4985 times)
F Onodi

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:13 PM »

Hi all!

I have a blogger blog. I want to use my .ws domain for that blog.
How can I do it?

Thanks,
Frank
Nav M.

Believe in yourself when nobody else will...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:54:44 PM »

Hmm, blogger.....

I cant really answer that question, as I'm not very fond with that service, but I can give you some advice;

Use WordPress.

It takes a few minutes to install on your .WS domain AND WordPress being the best blogging application out there, you CAN import everything from your Blogger to WordPress (which is also VERY easy to do). I'll post a link with instructions below.

Import Blogger to the best blogging software in the world Wink

Nav

Global Domains International - My-WS

A NEW GDI REPLICATED SITE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR ALL GDI AFFILIATES Email For Business Lead Capture Page

Global Domains International
insight247
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:47:56 PM »

Hello Frank,                                                                 

Unfortunately blogging engines are not supported on GDI servers due to the common required use of MySQL and Apache Modules. However you can forward your .WS domain to your Blogger Blog url. 

Whitney
GDI Forum Support
Nav M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »

Hello Frank,                                                                 

Unfortunately blogging engines are not supported on GDI servers due to the common required use of MySQL and Apache Modules. However you can forward your .WS domain to your Blogger Blog url. 

Whitney,

I'm slightly puzzled to what you mean when you say "due to the common required use of MySQL".

WordPress also uses MySQL to not only run on the admins side, but also on the visitors side as the info (Posts, Comments, Images, etc etc) is fetched from SQL constantly.

Blogger puts more traffic on the SQL side then WordPress?

To be honest, I never even knew you could use blogger on a self hosted domain. Thought it was only available as a service from Google.

So if that's the case (blogger putting to much pressure on the SQL side), how much taffic can these servers take?

We're working on a product for GDI members that links to WordPress and will use the SQL db (same one that WordPress uses) to store information, so thats why I'm curious to know how much these servers can handle.

Nav

A NEW GDI REPLICATED SITE IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR ALL GDI AFFILIATES Email For Business Lead Capture Page

insight247
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »

Hello Frank,                                                                 

Whitney,

I'm slightly puzzled to what you mean when you say "due to the common required use of MySQL".

WordPress also uses MySQL to not only run on the admins side, but also on the visitors side as the info (Posts, Comments, Images, etc etc) is fetched from SQL constantly.

Blogger puts more traffic on the SQL side then WordPress?

To be honest, I never even knew you could use blogger on a self hosted domain. Thought it was only available as a service from Google.

So if that's the case (blogger putting to much pressure on the SQL side), how much taffic can these servers take?

We're working on a product for GDI members that links to WordPress and will use the SQL db (same one that WordPress uses) to store information, so thats why I'm curious to know how much these servers can handle.

Nav

Hello Nav,

You are correct in stating that WordPress utilizes MySQL. However, we do not offer a hosting package in which you have access to an SQL database natively. The WordPress service that we offer is exactly as it is: WordPress. It is not a hosting package with SQL database privileges. Attempting to install third-party software packages such as Blogger into the WordPress environment will very likely fail.

The question of why this cannot be done is not that of what our servers can handle with regards to traffic, but simply that your actions will be unsupported by our servers. The WordPress environment is very specifically tailored to work with WordPress, and compatibility with other software is in no way guaranteed. Consequently, we do not advise attempting to modify the WordPress environment to perform actions that it is not configured to handle as the likelihood of incompatibility is high. Unfortunately, there currently is not a method that you could utilize in order to install Blogger on your GDI Hosting account as SQL services are not included in that environment.

If you are developing a plugin or service that works alongside with the WordPress service that our company provides, you are more than welcome to do so. But from your description, if it involves requiring a Blogger installation to also be present on your (sub)domain, we cannot guarantee that it will perform as intended.

Whitney
GDI Forum Support
Nav M.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »

Ah right, I see.

Makes more sense now. Smiley

Also, the application we're working on will use the SQL db that WP uses but only to store small bits of info (text) into different tables (not the same ones that WP uses). The application wont touch any of WP's data in the SQL DB. We've tested it on several different domains including one hosted by GDI and it works fine (so far). So everything should be okay.

Nav

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: