March 19, 2024, 02:07:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  
Author Topic: Hosting/Disk Storage Questions  (Read 145290 times)
Caroline Kent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2005, 08:38:00 AM »

Hi Folks,
I was looking for a 'back office' or 'control panel' which I have been used to having with other hosting plans. I do hope GDI will be offering this as I fear if we don't, we will not attract the serious website builders.  Business we attract into the GDI plan will want tracking on their sites without having to resort to adding free stats counters etc.  I was considering moving my main site over to GDI but I will be holding off until I know whether the back office/control panel will be available.

100megs is fine for most sites but would not be enough for my main site - I hope the options will expand as time goes on.

Caroline

« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 08:38:22 AM by Nicole Taylor » Logged

Caroline Kent
mack88
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2005, 09:51:27 AM »

This information can be located on your hosting site.  For example:  http://www.website.ws/USERID/hosting

This is the information you may be looking for!

GDI Premium Web Hosting is the ideal home for your site if you want full creative control. Our Fully managed shared web hosting accounts include all of the folowing:

Ultra Fast Dual 3.6 GHz CPU Pentium 4 Servers
 Fully managed 24/7 site monitoring
 1 GIGAbit, multi-homed tier-1 carriers
 100 meg disk storage per account
 10 gigs of monthly bandwidth

Hope this information helps you!

Frank
StefaniPartin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 09:56:14 PM »

Can anyone help me with these questions from
a prospect looking for hosting for her website.

How many pages would I get?  How many pics could it support? 

Thanks

Stefani Partin
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:06:03 PM by Nicole Taylor » Logged

Mommy Enterprises
Helping Moms Make & Save At Home
ChrisAdamson

Show me the Smurfs!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 10:10:25 PM »

Im not sure, but if this helps , this is whats on the hosting page

GDI Premium Web Hosting is the ideal home for your site if you want full creative control. Our Fully managed shared web hosting accounts include all of the folowing:

Ultra Fast Dual 3.6 GHz CPU Pentium 4 Servers
 Fully managed 24/7 site monitoring
 1 GIGAbit, multi-homed tier-1 carriers
 100 meg disk storage per account
 10 gigs of monthly bandwidth

or maybe you could contact support maybe they have the answers you need. Im guessing they get 6 pages and the pic part i guess as many as they can squeeze in there.

Hopefully this info helps

« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 10:11:24 PM by Nicole Taylor » Logged
Deborah H

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 03:58:43 AM »

Chip said recently we have 6 pages.  Smiley
Deborah H
R_Weiss

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2005, 11:13:25 AM »

Chip said recently we have 6 pages.  Smiley
Deborah H

I have seen some GDI websites that have more than 6 pages.  I wonder how they got more?

Rich

Rich Weiss
mack88
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 02:54:16 PM »

Website Builder provides you with 6 pages.  If you were to create your site using Frontpage, Dreamweaver or some other product, you would have the ability to create or use more pages!

Frank
BKeppel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2005, 08:30:38 PM »

Yes, but how can you find out how much of your allotted space you're using?

If I right click on my off-line website folder (exact mirror) I get two values:

Size
19.9 MB (20,942,631 bytes)
Size on disk
27.3 MB (28,721,152 bytes)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difference is due to FAT allocation unit size and can vary greatly depending on the way the partition was formated.

So, is there a way to get a reading from .WS itself? Please post!
BKeppel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2005, 08:44:36 PM »

Only 6 pages?

Is this being changed with the new update that's happening today?

I personally don't need to use templates (I've been into internet publication part-time since 2000), but that sounds way too limiting.

I looked at some SiteBuilder examples before and noticed that its really easy to change the template by simply changing the URL (database driven?).

Woulnd't it make more sense to have a limit in the 1000s?
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2005, 11:04:30 PM »

As I understand it 6 page limit with the site builder and a s much as you like with the hosting subject to the storage limit. I imagine you can buy extra disk space? My first site is hosted elsewhere as it has a lot more than 6 pages.
C_Hsieh

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2005, 03:48:56 PM »

can I use the asp function in the .ws hosting server?
CristinM

WE are the DOT COM COMPETITION.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2005, 08:25:20 PM »

An updated is need regarding SQL availability.
Also, if we want any hope of attracting real webmasters, we need to be able to tell them what is and is not supported on our site.
We may not know what the stuff is ourselves, but we need better information to be readily available as to what is and is not supported.

Cristin Mackey
KhristineH

Love is in the eye of the beholder

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2005, 08:12:19 PM »

A person can run phpinfo on the GDI hosting and will find all the information about the currently installed version of PHP and what it will support. This does not mean that the services the version of PHP is supporting are available for use too. mySQL is not available with the hosting package and neither are many other server technologies such as ASP.NET etc.

As a "real" webmaster (I prefer webmistress actually), ,my advice is don't get bogged down in thinking you can't attract us because there is no database access or other things. Personally, when I develop my site beyond the capabilities of the GDI hosting I will just point my domain to my own nameservers and hosting services.  I have all the bells and whistles there that I need.

100 MB is a nice sized hosting space. It is more then enough for most people and many many things can be done with it, through the website builder or hosting. GDI has added a guestbook and feedback page for you in the website builder. I think that's great, it's simple and nothing fancy but it's easy to use and it's very easy to admin on the back end. There is a good product here and it comes with more emails and space then a good portion of hosting out there for 10.00/mth. It is a great value for what it is.

Getting back to attracting webmasters/webmistresses, the business opportunity itself is the attraction. Making money with a business that finally had good value for a small price tag was what appealled to me and  in an industry I understood completely was a bonus! Marketing a top level domain name is no small thing either! If a webmaster turns their back on this opportunity because the hosting isn't powerful enough for them, they are missing the boat and wouldn't do much in the business anyway. You want a webmaster/webmistress who is a business builder. Who sees a good deal for many of their clients who have small needs and sees a great opportunity for other clients to have their own domain name and make money too. If that client needs more powerful hosting, it can be provided. The beauty of GDI is that it is $10.00/month. Anyone can afford that and are getting good value for their money in comparing apples to applies in hosting. When you start adding alot of technology to the hosting package there is going to have to be a willingness to see that $10.00/month raise in price. Technology is not free. It costs money. Database servers require more security to protect information and there is always the consideration of more bandwidth unless you like your sites loading like snails. There is alot to consider. I am sure GDI is taking all this into consideration.

For me, I have been playing with the sitebuilder and with the hosting to see just what and how much can be done with it. Sometimes more can be done then people think at first, especially if they are new to web design. As I said before, for now if I need more power for my .ws site (and I am sure I will) I will just point it to my nameservers when that time comes. This opportunity is so good, even using my own servers, I still don't mind paying GDI $10.00! The marketing materials they give you with your presentation website, the movie and the backoffice you have now are worth that alone!

More powerful hosting does require more of a control panel too as someone else has mentioned. If and when GDI expands to that, that will be an added expense for them as well. It's another cost and business doesn't stay in business if they continually eat cost. It gets passed on to the customer. GDI gives us alot folks for $10.00/month.

If anyone like me gives you a hard time about the simple hosting offered here, move on and don't waste your time. Their world is too small and their vision too narrow.

All the best,
Khristi

Khristi
Cristian Petre

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2005, 11:06:21 AM »

Thank you for this info Khristi.

It's very detailed and very informative. It shows you're a great webmistress. Good luck with both GDI and your webdesign business. Also, I hope you can teach us something about webdesign when we might need it.

All the best,
Cristian
KhristineH

Love is in the eye of the beholder

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2005, 05:35:04 PM »

Thanks so much Cristian. I would love to be helfpful in any way to anyone that I can. I wish I had more time to spend on the forum then I currently do. I have been so busy with life in general. I am the single (for now anyway) mother of 4 and have been supporting  them alone for 9 years.  They are 22 (boy), 17(girl), 14(boy), 11(girl).  I am  preparing to move my family from Missouri to Colorado in a couple of months where I am getting  re-married(unless I turn into a complete coward! LOL)  after the first of the year. This means new husband, new home, new work environment etc. Lots of exciting and kind of scary changes. The only sad thing is my oldest son is not going. He is staying here. It's breaking my heart but he has to live his life where he is happiest the same as I do. He is working at building GDI too.

There is a great bunch of people on this forum and all so willing to help one another! It's really great because you can come here and not feel like you are disconnected from everyone.

Take care and let me know if I can be of assistance!

Khristi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16
  Print  

Jump to: