March 29, 2024, 02:43:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I ftp with GDI?  (Read 84112 times)
Randy C

Cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2006, 02:54:18 PM »

Here's what I see when I go to your page: 

Lalala Lalala Smiley

sometimes your browser will cache the page instead of getting it from the server.  To be sure you're getting what is currently on the server, hold the Control key and hit the F5 key.  That will refresh the page without using what you have cached.  If that still isn't right, double check the ftp info and path info within Frontpage.  I can't remember how to do it off the top of my head, but you should be able to see the "remote site" info to compare with what you have on your local computer.

Does that help?  Let me know if you need further explanation.  Also - if you're still having problems, let me know of any error messages you get.

Randy
S_Alcoya

Success is our way of life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2006, 10:07:53 AM »

Here's what I see when I go to your page: 

Lalala Lalala Smiley

sometimes your browser will cache the page instead of getting it from the server.  To be sure you're getting what is currently on the server, hold the Control key and hit the F5 key.  That will refresh the page without using what you have cached.  If that still isn't right, double check the ftp info and path info within Frontpage.  I can't remember how to do it off the top of my head, but you should be able to see the "remote site" info to compare with what you have on your local computer.

Does that help?  Let me know if you need further explanation.  Also - if you're still having problems, let me know of any error messages you get.

Randy

Hey Randy that was some great info. That happen to me. I guest I learn something new everyday Cheesy

Your Success

Alcoya

Take Care,
Alcoya
DaveHayes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2006, 10:15:32 PM »

Does any one know how to use FTP with ourwebsites so that we can hide affiliate links with a more professional look.

If anyone can help me with this I will be very happy.i downloaded coffee cup 3.0 if it helps.

Dave Hayes
TraceyP

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2006, 10:15:32 PM »

Thanks...you helped me!
 Wink
Herbert,

There is no problem with what you want to do. You need to build your site on your computer using any one of a miriad of HTML editors. Front Page, Dreamweaver and Coffee Cup spring to mind.

Once you have the page built you need to choose the hosting option from your control panel

Get an FTP program CuteFTP from Globalscape and WS-FTP are the industry basic standards. There are a number of free programs as well.

FTP the pages to your site and you are done.

To update you need to fix the files on your own computer and overwrite the ones at GDI servers.

Hope this helps

Smiley
TraceyP

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 10:15:32 PM »

THANK YOU!!!!
I used net2ftp.com and no problems what so ever...you just don't know, I've been pulling my hair out for a few weeks now over this ftp transfer problem.  Guess what, it instantly appeared, didn't have to wait 24hrs.
Thanks again!

Try this site:  www.net2ftp.com  you will be required to login with your username and password, along with your domain name (without the www)  You should be able to log in.  When you log in, it must be in lowercase. 

great all thanks for your help...

frank m i did find a different ftp program to go through as opposed to using dreamweaver.  however i'm still running into the same issue when trying to access it.  i'm now getting login errors invalid username or pass... and i swear to all i've tried inputing this info in about a dozen times now triple checking my entry against the info that .ws sent me...

david i know reading some of your past posts re: ftp (and their consecutive replies)... is it possible that i just need to wait it out two days   I read someone who told you that:

"It sometimes takes 24-48 for the DNS to propagate."

Now i'm totally cool with being patient.... but can someone just explain that phrase to me  Wink ha ha 

my concern is just that if it is a password/username issue, as i can't access with the ftp client or typing in the address in my browser, waiting 2 more days is just that 2 more days, and as i'm going to be promoting the site and buisness in a slightly different way, i need to have my personal site/files up.  and like so many of us newbies out on here, we understand the need for patience, but also don't want the excitement/momentum to fade Smiley  btw i've already contacted support in regards to the user/pass thing.  how long does it typically take for response from support??

thanks everyone for all the help!

adrienne
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 10:22:13 PM »

Does any one know how to use FTP with ourwebsites so that we can hide affiliate links with a more professional look.

If anyone can help me with this I will be very happy.i downloaded coffee cup 3.0 if it helps.

Dave Hayes

The ways you can hide a link are to cloak it, use a redirect, or sign up for a redirect service such as tinyurl.com
FTP will not help you unless you plan to write your own redirects.
MarkAustin

Mark Austin

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2006, 12:29:29 PM »

I had the same problem, now I got it all figured out. 

First, when you log on through FTP, make sure your website folder is open.  Thats the one thats on GDI web server.  If you open that file you may see other files or folders that you uploaded by mistake, which is why you can't see your website.  It's in a folder inside another folder. 

You need to just put your html files directly into your web folder.  Your web folder is the same name as whatever you named your web site.  After that, everthing should be Jim Dandy!

See more ways to market GDI
PamelaR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2007, 12:45:13 PM »

Hi  Huh

I have been up all night trying to get my files to transfer from my ISP server host with my website files to my .ws host!  They just won't go....  I have watched and rewatched the tutorials umpteen times and redid everything as many.  Still no progress.  I really want to use the hosting, but may have to go back to GDI website made. Angry  I AM LOST HERE!

Any help apprciated Embarrassed

Pam

Cool  Good things come to those who wait
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2007, 07:43:11 AM »

I am a bit confused as to how you are doing this. You need an FTP program to do this
PamelaR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2007, 01:02:01 PM »

Yes, I am useing an ftp program.  I am using Smartftp.  Just don't know what I am doing wrong..

Pam

RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2007, 09:00:36 PM »

In your control panel did you select the hosting option?
PamelaR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 05:50:25 AM »

Hi again,

Yes, I selected hosting under my domain section in my back office.  Is that what you mean?

Pam

Horace White

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2007, 11:47:29 AM »

Hello,
(1) I already have a site built.It is in a zip file on my computer.
How do I upload it to my .ws for hosting?

(2) I already have a paid for dot com domain name.
How do I retain the same name and host my site at .ws?
BMarini

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2007, 02:32:21 PM »

Hi there

I notice you sent me a mess, sorry I did not get back to you right away you get into your site by going to  (website.ws)
When did you sign up?
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2007, 08:32:54 PM »

Hello,
(1) I already have a site built.It is in a zip file on my computer.
How do I upload it to my .ws for hosting?

(2) I already have a paid for dot com domain name.
How do I retain the same name and host my site at .ws?

Hi
1)You cannot upload a zip file to .ws. Having said that you can but it would be of no use. You would have to upload the unzipped files.
Choos the hosted option and use an FTP program to do this.

2)It is possible to do this you would have to ask support for help
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:36:46 PM by RodB » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: