March 28, 2024, 02:02:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News: Welcome to Talk.ws - The Official Forum for all GDI members!

If you are a new member please make sure to read the "Forum Rules, Forum Tutorials, and GDI FAQs" section.

Please avoid posting any questions which may require us to discuss detailed information regarding your GDI account. Such questions should be submitted to support@wsdomains.ws.

GDI has a strict Anti-SPAM policy. Please do NOT send unsolicited messages via Private Message.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I ftp with GDI?  (Read 84081 times)
DavidBlood

View Profile WWW
« on: February 22, 2006, 07:28:08 AM »

Hello, I've built a personal web site that I want to host with GDI, but while I can find the links and set up for the online site builder I can't find any to links, set up, or instructions to ftp my site.  So how do I bypass the site builder and use ftp with GDI??? 

Thanks,

David

Stop by and make a new friend at my site!
mack88
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 07:46:33 AM »

Hello, I've built a personal web site that I want to host with GDI, but while I can find the links and set up for the online site builder I can't find any to links, set up, or instructions to ftp my site.  So how do I bypass the site builder and use ftp with GDI??? 

Thanks,

David

Hello David,

First you must go into your Members Area and set your domain to premium hosting.  You will then receive an email stating that your hosting is activated.  However, you must wait 12-24 hours for the domain to do its thing through the DNS servers.  After that type your URL into your browser, if you paged is indexed, you will know and see it.  You will then need an FTP program to upload your files. There are numerous FTP programs on the Net (some free, some not).  Once uploaded your pages will be displayed.  It is a very simple process if you follow these steps and have a little patience.

Frank

p.s.  On the forum here, there is a search tool.  If you conduct a search of the topic or question that you have, more than likely it has already been discussed and you will find the answer to your question very quickly.  No waiting for someone to respond.  How niice is that?
DavidBlood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 11:28:56 AM »

Thanks Frank, I appreciate your reply, just got one from customer service as well, and I followed the steps.  Waiting for my email now.  Smiley

Thanks again.

David

WilliamBauwens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 02:03:12 PM »

hi,
 is their a possibility to change my own website i have made with site builder and replace it with a other co. url ....and do i lose my first site so if i change www.myeasybusiness.ws and redirect it to www.my.ws/belgianbill do i lose the site i made with sitebuilder?Huh? (sorry for my englisch)
 greetings
william   Wink

greetzz from belgium
DavidBlood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:24:48 PM »

OK, next question. I ftp'd my site and all seemed to go well, BUT when I put in my URL http://davidblood.ws it gets redirected to http://website.ws/davidblood  I did not set this redirect, I think I saw somewhere that it's an automatic redirect if you're not using your site, which is fine.  But I am using it now so how do I stop the redirect?  I did a search for "redirect" but didn't find anything helpful.

Thanks again,

David

RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:24:23 AM »

hi,
 is their a possibility to change my own website i have made with site builder and replace it with a other co. url ....and do i lose my first site so if i change www.myeasybusiness.ws and redirect it to www.my.ws/belgianbill do i lose the site i made with sitebuilder?Huh? (sorry for my englisch)
 greetings
william   Wink

Hi William as far as I am aware you do not loose any work you have done in the site builder
if you swap to the redirect. It would be senseless if you did.
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 01:26:32 AM »

OK, next question. I ftp'd my site and all seemed to go well, BUT when I put in my URL http://davidblood.ws it gets redirected to http://website.ws/davidblood  I did not set this redirect, I think I saw somewhere that it's an automatic redirect if you're not using your site, which is fine.  But I am using it now so how do I stop the redirect?  I did a search for "redirect" but didn't find anything helpful.

Thanks again,

David

I assume you switched to hosting or else you would not have been able to FTP. It sometimes takes 24-48 for the DNS to propagate. Wait a few more hours  Angry and try again. If it still does not work contact support.
P_Gringel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 08:00:28 PM »

Yes I too  am having trouble with my ftp as well. I received the message  that hosting was activated two days ago.
Still my site does not come up on the web.That is my WS site. Does it take longer if we are International? Tongue
just a thought. Or is that a silly thought?  Sad!
                             Whew!   Sweltering here in Oz!  Cry

P_Gringel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 08:10:00 PM »

Huh had a look at your site David. It is really good. Liked the jokes also the houses segment.
      Plenty of content .
                              Did you know though your to top of page liinks are not working (at time of writing! )that is.
regds.Pat.

DavidBlood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 09:34:08 PM »

Thanks Rod, You're right, it's working now, just needed a little more patience.

I was looking last night at others web sites in the Showcase your Website section and many of them seem to be company made lead capture pages.  It made me wonder if someone drops out is that what their site is replaced with? 

Whether company made lead pages or not most of them seem to be just about GDI and with all the great pages GDI already has set up for us I have to wonder why so many are doing that.  Sure my web site talks about GDI, but it also talks about much more, it's a personal website.  Like the GDI training manual says I also think the best way to promote GDI is OFFline.  Today I got a message from GDI listing some great ideas for what people can do with their web sites, just my opinion but I think things like showcasing what you can do with a personal, family, hobby, or special interest website would be far more effective in promoting GDI than more sites just about GDI would be.

I also have a concern about people using there web sites JUST to promote GDI.  Did you ever here of Sky Biz.  Of course the main reason it was shut down was because it was a front loading scam and GDI is NOTHING like that, but the FTC was also looking at it because all distributors seemed to be doing with their websites was promoting Sky Biz rather than developing other types of content.  I hope that doesn't happen here and I really hope that GDI strongly encorages other types of content that really showcases different uses for web sites and that GDI members listen.

O.K. I'll get off my soap box now!

David

ChoonOng

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 03:33:14 AM »

Now I am newbie here in GDI .Just wonder if I can use PHP and mySQL servers here in their webhosting space they provide to us ?
Then we can have more features...most of my clients requires that.

Or we can request GDI for giving us that option later ?

Jerry
HerbertSpringer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 07:18:28 PM »

Hello Smiley

I'm looking for some help in accessing files after uploaded via FTP
for the sake of editing changes.

The sitebuilder templates are just not what I want and I'd
like to build my own site and FTP it but my question is
how would I access these files for modifications?

Also I want to implement lead capture and with sitebuilder
it won't co-operate with my autoresponder forms.

Would someone please take the time to explain how I could accomplish this.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Herbert Springer
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2006, 10:01:22 AM »

Herbert,

There is no problem with what you want to do. You need to build your site on your computer using any one of a miriad of HTML editors. Front Page, Dreamweaver and Coffee Cup spring to mind.

Once you have the page built you need to choose the hosting option from your control panel

Get an FTP program CuteFTP from Globalscape and WS-FTP are the industry basic standards. There are a number of free programs as well.

FTP the pages to your site and you are done.

To update you need to fix the files on your own computer and overwrite the ones at GDI servers.

Hope this helps

Smiley
Khairulazmi Mohd

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 11:06:26 PM »

Thanks again,

David

If I  swith to hosting,will I be charged any extra fees?l

I assume you switched to hosting or else you would not have been able to FTP. It sometimes takes 24-48 for the DNS to propagate. Wait a few more hours  Angry and try again. If it still does not work contact support.
RodB

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 11:10:27 PM »

There are no extra fees for GDI hosting!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: